The New Fountain of 1835
Its inauguration in 1835 marked a big step forward for Valbonne. It was originally planned for the Place Nationale, later renamed the Place des Arcades, but finally was situated in the middle of the village, in front of the town hall, within easy reach of every household. To tap into the spring of the Sarssidou stream and to pipe it into the centre of the village was a major undertaking. The supply line crossed many private properties and there were a series of contestations to be settled. Finally, during the 1830s, the municipal council managed to overcome all the problems and the fresh water of the new fountain, desired for so long, started to flow. Other fountains were installed in the village after a water supply from the Foulon canal was available. But it was not until as recently as 1957 that it became possible for adequate supplies of fresh drinking water to be piped into all the houses of the village.